Homesteading in New York

Homesteading in New York – here is a summary of some of the important considerations for starting off your homestead journey in this state.

homesteading in new york

Climate  – Click on the city/town links for more ‘local’ data

Geography – general geographic information

Geology  – geologic information (what rocks do we find)

Legal/Tax considerations

Building codes

Agricultural statistics

Home schooling

Average land price per acre (2013) : $2,700

Homesteader Comments

Read below what real homesteaders in this state think the pros and cons for living and homesteading here.  Add your own in the comments!

Pros:None available

Cons: None available

9 thoughts on “Homesteading in New York

• July 26, 2015 at 9:13 am

Pros: NY is beautiful and diverse land wise. You can go from mountains to rolling hills to valleys, meadows and seaside.

Cons: high taxes, over regulated gun control, ridiculous zoning requirements, includes NYC

• September 5, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Have property in st. Lawrence county , any pro and con comments

• February 2, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I’m looking all over for free land homestead in New York. Is there anything out there you can direct me to, a website Maybe?

• March 27, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Are you kidding!? Anything like that is a scam. Work for it !

• March 22, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Spent 10 yrs on 20 acres in way upstate NY or what we called The North Country , It is beautiful
    but very rugged. The winters are extremely cold, and long.
    You must be made of stern stuff to homestead that close to the
    Canadian border. Pros: plenty of forest to manage for wood
    for building, projects, your woodstove. Very laid back people,
    everybody is for the most part friendly.
    Cons: As mentioned expect long bad winters. Which of course
    makes for a short garden season. Outside the
    home jobs are few and far between as this area has not
    been highly developed. I am mostly referring to the area
    around Malone, NY.

• May 17, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Do u know where I can find a homesteads home in newyork or close too network.. I’m not very educated in homesteading can u please give me some input or a referral to talk to someone about it otherwise I’ll be sleeping in the woods lol joking .I am very interested that I am leaving my info e-mail Faithinme17@ gmail.com plz contact me asap thank you sincerely Fallon

• February 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm

I purchased a 10.75 acre farmhouse and barn 4.5 years ago, in Otsego county, NY. We now raise, beef, pork, lamb, chickens and ducks for meat. The lambs and beef are fully fed off the land, all grass fed. Our sales have increased each year, so our farming business can fully pay for itself and feed our large family healthy natural meats. The farm New York Upstate’s Creations was inspired by a retail store I began to manage in 2011, called Upstate’s Creations.

Pros: The land is beautiful, the pastures are thick and grow fast. No need to water fields or crops most years. Fertile land, tons of natural wild life. There are a lot of agricultural properties, so it is easy to find the resources to farm. My neighbors are out of sight and stay to themselves, but are willing to help out if I really need it. Definitely 4 seasons. Schools hace very low violence, less drugs and kids aren’t pushed toward “dating” young. Mist are about 14 and older before there are any kind of couples. Dress is a little more modest.

Cons: Definitely high taxes. Winters are tough. The local economy is struggling, so depends on tourists and NYC. So many work endless long hours in the summer to try and survive another winter, so it can make people gruff.

• February 3, 2018 at 6:27 am

Fantastic info Jessica! Thanks so much for sharing.

• May 17, 2018 at 4:06 pm

I would love to be educated in homesteading can u please give me a opportunity to grow or help me out with a contact to do so… thank you for your time and consideration.