Homesteading in North Carolina

Homesteading in North Carolina – here is a summary of some of the important considerations for starting off your homestead journey in this state.

homesteading in north carolina

Climate  – Click on the city/town links for more ‘local’ data

Geography – general geographic information

Geology  – geologic information (what rocks do we find)

Legal/Tax considerations

Building codes

Agricultural statistics

Home schooling

Average land price per acre (2013) : $4,510

Homesteader Comments

Read below what real homesteaders in this state think the pros and cons for living and homesteading here.  Add your own in the comments!

Pros: Fairly long growing season. Fall/winter gardening is pretty good. Winter Temps daily get below 20* F so minimal shelter is needed for livestock.

Cons: Mid summer is a little harder to garden because if the heat. Land in my general area is a little pricy ($3.5K-$7K per acre). Further west in the state is the mountains which presents new challenges.

John, 25 acres

21 thoughts on “Homesteading in North Carolina

• July 26, 2015 at 8:59 am

we moved to WNC 4 years ago ~ we have on and off grid solar, wood stove for heat in winter and water heater in summer ~ chickens, hoop house, garden ~ ( herbs, veggies and fruit) ~ we love it! folks are very supportive and share resources when it comes to being sustainable.

• November 19, 2015 at 12:40 pm

thanks

Tom & Cyndi Lyerly

• September 8, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Hi Iam Craig lookin for Aa fresh start love the mountains any good places to homestead I herd a little about Black mountain any suggestions will be helpful and appreciated thanks Craig.

• October 19, 2016 at 6:04 am

We want to do the same thing! What area are you in?

• December 24, 2016 at 10:25 am

What county are you in ? I’m planning on buying land and doing the same thing . I want to build a container home any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

• August 13, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Where at in western north carolina is for homestead? I’ve been thinking about it for some time and I know its going to be a fight but in the end it would be worth it

• December 1, 2015 at 8:28 am

We have started our homestead here in NC and plan on turning it into a small farm operation here in the future. We have been looking into getting a larger piece of land and around our area in Johnston County you are looking anywhere from $10,000 to $15,000 an acre. Obviously there are areas that are cheaper in NC but wanted to pass the word for this area.

• February 22, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Me and my mother also live in the farm country area of Johnston County and bought a three parcel property with about 20 acres, two nice doublewides, a moderate size barn, two ponds, and backing to the new river for about $7500 an acre. We have been slowly learning about homesteading and entertaining the idea of diy building cabin homes from the trees on our property. While we are still in the learning and planning process, we have kept chickens, and inherited grape vines, blueberry bushes, crab apple tree, fully stocked ponds, and had a small test garden last year of tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and zucchini. Just wanted to throw it out there about JoCo, a wonderful farm friendly area that is a little higher end but def worth it. There is a parcel of land directly across the road from mine between 7 and 10 acres that is partially cleared/level and backs to a small lake/large pond that I believe is up for sale by a family as well.

• July 22, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I live in Princeton, small world

• July 9, 2016 at 2:02 pm

HI all.. My family and I visited Charlotte about a week ago and love the area, it is way better than living in NYC.. . We want to have a small homestead , about 2 acres or so and a newer home .. but all the new homes are in tiny new developments with tons of HOA rules.. Any suggestions on where we could look , also were are looking for a diverse community in which to raise or children?????..

• July 13, 2016 at 8:23 am

My experience has been that if there are HOA rules, it is worth moving on to look at something else. While HOA rules can be relaxed and accommodating, with a change of a person they can become draconian at best. Having complete control of what you want to do is really going to be in your best interest! Gaz

• August 24, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Keleshia,

We just moved from a crowded HOA subdivision in Mooresville to 5 acres in Iron Station.
      We love it. Check out Lincoln county.

We’re looking forward to getting our chickens, bees, and garden going.

• December 22, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Hey Keleshia,
        How did you go about finding the property? Website, Realtor, work of mouth?

Thanks,
        Mrs. Lynch

• July 22, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Also note jo co u have yo have a permit for everything so if u can get something way down a long dirt path away from nosey people or go to another outlying county. Johnston can get expensive with things.

• July 30, 2017 at 2:12 pm

The triangle area is awesome for diverse community and raising kids and land is fairly cheap and plentiful outside of the main towns. I’d stay clear of Raleigh suburbs to avoid HOAs, but Orange, Durham, and Chatham counties would probably be awesome for your family. (We have a homestead right between Orange and Durham counties and love it.)

• October 12, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Hello All,
    We currently live in Phoenix, AZ and we are sick of the crowds and Heat (my wife has a health issue that heat worsens) so it’s time to go! We Love the Asheville area of NC and we are looking for a change. The plan is to sell here in the next year and rent in the area for 6 or so months to make sure we find the area that feels right. I scour (and dream) the land and home sale sites and it keeps bringing me back to the Marshall area. We don’t want to go less than 20 acres but would really like closer to 40. The question is, does anyone here have any good or bad feedback about Marshall and/or Burnsville? We are looking at a trip in Feb and of course will check it out for ourselves but would appreciate your thoughts.

• November 1, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I owned a place up on bald mountain in Burnsville for a few years….this was about 5 years ago. Very small town but incredible people up there. Can’t say enough good things about the people of the area. You will make friends very fast. People share information, tools, food, etc. Growing season was shorter that I wanted and the mountaintop was nearly always slightly cool to cold. I was also too young to retire and there wasn’t much work in the area at the time so I moved to the outskirts of Charlotte on 6 acres. We still visit Asheville often and go up to Marshal, Burnsville, mt Mitchell, etc. our property had a stream so lots of wildlife, blueberries and apples just outside the front door and a small stocked pond. We came from fl where no one shares anything so it was unusual that the neighbors would fish our pond and gather apples and berries from our property but they also brought vegetables, jerky, canned foods, etc. Also looked after the place when we weren’t there, helped get the water back on when the pipes froze in winter, shared firewood, etc. families have to help each other on the mountain. We learned very quickly that nothing is completely yours…you were kind of expected to share a little. They were always respectful however and we became good friends…almost like extended family I guess. Down the mountain was a little different. People still very nice but just slightly more private. Life down the mountain was more normal so people didn’t rely so heavily on each other but were still very cordial, etc. it’s a small place…you must like small towns…they have very little privacy but have a ton of benefit too. Burnsville is only 20 mins or so from the outskirts of Asheville so if you ever want to be in a good sized city for a day…it’s very close. Overall, the winters were just a little too long for us but that was sincerely my only dislike…and it was a very mild dislike….the place was quite charming to us and buying that place was one of the best decisions of my life….it started a change in me for the better. I’m a much happier person with a much better outlook. The world is a much kinder place to us now….I think we are putting better stuff out there and getting back what we give off. I was just angry in fl with the heat, traffic, transient people with no sense of community. complete life change For us. I hope you find the same in NC! Welcome! And safe travels

• May 15, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Wow, I live in south Florida…brought by the Army and stayed due to marrying a local. I have the same sentiments as you concerning the fake people and horrible attitudes. I can go on for centuries but why give myself an ulcer. Anyway, I have been to Burnsville, N.C. with my wife in March of this year. We arrived at night so I couldn’t see anything but when we drove out under daylight, it was incredible. Some sights made me think of the foothills of the Alps, it was incredible. We were only there for one night as we were picking up an Akita puppy. As such, we did get to meet some people and they are all incredible! I do find it odd that you feel it to be so cold but I guess if you have lived in FL all your life it would seem cold. I have been to many places and froze in them as well, courtesy of the Army. As long as I don’t have to sleep outside in single digit temperatures for weeks at a time as I did in Korea, it should be fine. So in summary, Burnsville is the place for me!

• November 20, 2016 at 10:39 am

My husband and I are looking at the Sparta area and north of Sparta to the VA /NC line. We love the area and have visited several times. We hope to move from Johnston county when my husband retires in six years from his job. Western Johnston county used to be fairly quiet and easy going, but has increasingly grown over the past three years. We are looking forward to buying at least 5-10 acres where we can live a quiet, sustainable life. Can anyone give me and my husband a little feed back about the area as far as the people, the seasons and projections of population growth. We worry that by the time we are ready to make our move, that others will like the area too and it will experience a boom in growth just as Johnston county has. Also, can anyone share experiences in buying a farm house fixer-upper. We are considering buying an older home versus building a new one. Any information is greatly appreciated.

• December 16, 2016 at 3:45 am

Hi! My mom moved to Lenoir, NC last spring and I live in CA right now but thinking seriously about spending $25-45,000 on rural land in NC. I would love natural spring water as I have on the land I live on in the mountains here but haven’t seen much online. Of course I will visit NC over the next month and search around but am curious if anyone knows of such land that is secluded? A water source is crucial and if there’s no structure, I would need a trailer of some sort to live in while building a small house or cabin. Also, are people still homesteading in NC? Thanks ya’ll!