Homesteading in West Virginia

Homesteading in West Virginia – here is a summary of some of the important considerations for starting off your homestead journey in this state.

homesteading in west virginia

Climate  – Click on the city/town links for more ‘local’ data

Geography – general geographic information

Geology  – geologic information (what rocks do we find)

Legal/Tax considerations

Building codes

Agricultural statistics

Home schooling

Average land price per acre (2013) : $2,560

Homesteader Comments

Read below what real homesteaders in this state think the pros and cons for living and homesteading here.  Add your own in the comments!

Pros:  Friendly people, all four seasons, fertile land, varies from city life to extremely rural. Lots of fun adventurous outdoor activities everywhere you look, (boy scouts head quarters, white water rafting, Rick climbing, zip line tours, camping, hiking etc)

Cons: Drugs are ridiculous in the city areas.

Tracie, 2 acres

17 thoughts on “Homesteading in West Virginia

• July 15, 2015 at 8:44 am

I absolutely love the mtn state. There is so much to do here . As a farmer this has been the best move for my family. I could go on and on forever on why we love it here .

• June 8, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I landed in West Virginia almost 40 years ago. It’s the best for nature lovers and homesteaders! Relatively fertile, many rural places have lax to non existent building codes, winters are not “too long”, taxes and land prices are lower than a lot of places. We have a 95 acre farm with 3 homes on it and only pay less than $600 a year in taxes. AND, we just happen to have what I’d call a “starter package” for long term rent with a mobile home ready to remodel to your liking, a solid root cellar, large garden area and good well and spring on around 2 acres, plus extras like use of the farm pond, trails, woods for firewood. We only want $150 a month with no chance of rent going up or the land being sold. What we really want is good neighbors (it’s a good neighborhood) and the place taken care of.

• June 8, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for sharing the great info Patsy!

• June 8, 2016 at 12:49 pm

What part of WV? We live in Mount Hope, Fayette county.

• July 5, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Is this still available if so we are very interested as we are there every month
      Steve and April contact Steve@btrspro.com

• September 6, 2016 at 5:03 am

Hi Patsy. I am interested in your rental property. Is it still available? Where are you located in WV? I am a former teacher and experienced gardener/homesteader who has lived in Georgia for a number of years. Sadly, I am now divorced and seeking a place to settle a little further north. Basically, I just want a rural setting with peace and quiet and to be able to raise a garden and write. I have just turned 60 years young and I am very fit and active, responsible, financially secure (but not rich) and reasonably intelligent. Please contact me if you are interested. Thanks.

Kit

• September 18, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Where are you located at. 61 yr old disabled vet. Tired of city living

• September 26, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Mother and wife with 3 kids. Lived in Monroe, WI for 38yrs. Love nature and the outdoors. Wanting to get back to basics. Would love to know more about the starter package you are offering.

• October 16, 2016 at 11:44 pm

very interested if you still it available. if you do still have would love more information.

• October 22, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I am very interested in becoming your neighbor. My man and I have been looking for the right opportunity to fit in somewhere. We live a simple life in sw pa . we have discussed and researched this life for us. Just looking for a place where we can start our dream that fits for us.

• December 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Patsy, It really seems like you have a great place for the right person or couple. My wife and I have been interested in living the off grid / homestead lifestyle for several years. We would love the chance to live our dream in a great area full of nature and life. Im a former United States Marine and was raised in Clay co. Wv. and graduated in 1992 from Clay Co High School. So I have lived in the the great state of WV for many years. My wife Cristina (a nurse by trade) was born in Clarksburg and has always loved the beautiful mountains that WV has to offer. We have traveled and had the chance to see alot of states but we would like to settle in WV.
      We both love the outdoors and everything that entails …my wife would love the chance to raise a garden and learn the art of canning. Maybe even raise a few chickens and have fresh eggs and poultry to eat and share with others.
      If there is still room on your land that you are willing to rent .. we can provide our own home and help in the care of the land. We look forward to hearing from you
      Jason & Cristina Young

• April 4, 2017 at 2:43 pm

If you still have a spot avalible please let me know or anything similar would even be willing to build my own small cabin and help with anything needed and pay rent to u monthly for a couple acres to live off the grid

• May 24, 2017 at 12:59 am

Hi Patsy, I just read your post of June 2016, I’m pretty sure you found many takers to your offer. How is it going? Have any more like that one or know someone who does?
      Would love to communicate with you directly…

• August 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Is this property still available?

• September 6, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Would by chance stl have this land for rent. I was on here looking for homesteading. I love everything to do with outdoors garden. My email jcandtc2003@gmail.com

• September 9, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I am a Maine native and at the young age of 58 have decided to look to warmer states to settle into ,if you are interested in talking , email me Matt

• September 28, 2016 at 11:01 am

Looking for like minded people to start a homesteading community, or join! Christian couple hard working and really wanna go to to old ways of life, we don,the have money but do work hard,loyal, and want to be 100% dedicated to this way of life, preferably in WV Mountains